Sunday, October 14, 2007

it's been a week

I still think I'll be keeping up with this for a while.

This week was much better than last week. I squeezed in a fair number of hours for work, joined yet another club on campus, and overall had a relaxing week, though I'm still feeling indifferent about Friday's economics test. Today was mostly spent at Best Buy (getting an iPod adapter installed for my car radio) and reading/taking notes for oceanography. I'm also starting to get addicted to Grey's Anatomy (I purchased three episodes on iTunes), but I still haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing. Onto a complete digression...

In an earlier post, I mentioned Hacking College, parts of which focused on preparing for the global economy and whatnot. The book makes it seem somewhat daunting, though personally I think it's good, for lack of a better word (and judgment, perhaps). Anyway, never one to argue against globalization, I welcome China's economic and social expansion, a topic discussed time and time again in my economics class. But really, sometimes I wonder. I quote from an article in today's New York Times:

"Pollution has reached epidemic proportions in China, in part because the ruling Communist Party still treats environmental advocates as bigger threats than the degradation of air, water and soil that prompts them to speak out."

Seriously? I can't tell whether or not I should be surprised.

No comments: