Sunday, October 7, 2007

yadrutas

Today, I had to wake up at 7am for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk. It was long but I had a good time with the "homies" from Student Government, and I definitely want to start a Relay for Life team on campus for the spring.


Walking around downtown Miami was an experience in itself. I first learned what downtown Miami truly looks like from driving around/near school (emphasis on the "driving;" it was in a car). But walking from Bayfront Park to Coral Way (SE 13th ST) really gives you a chance to observe the skyscrapers and realize how big they actually are. The way I see it, it makes Miami feel more like a "city."

Later this morning, my brother came over to do laundry/hang out. (He's 29 and doesn't live at home but comes over on the weekends.) My parents left to run errands so we ordered take-out from the Canton Chinese Restaurant near US1 and SW 67th Ave. It was pretty good, cheap, and vegetarian friendly! (Nothing special, though, which in other words means I've had better.)

At some point I studied some economics and considered doing my math homework, but I was exhausted from the walk and pretty much passed out around 4pm. After napping for a few hours, I showered and whatnot and got picked up by Joe. Then we picked up Mary Cristina and went to Blockbuster to get a movie (which we ended up not watching since there was lots of talking to do). Likan had come down from North Carolina for "fall break" and there was lots of catching up, so after spending some time at her house, we went to Checkers, just like "the good old days."

Hanging out with the three of them made me realize how much I really miss my friends. I'm very happy where I am right now, and I'm happy for everyone else and that they're having a good time in college (for the most part). But the truth is almost everyone is gone! I'll be doing the same, though, soon enough. Later this month, Ashleigh and Iris are coming down from NC and Gainesville, respectively; I may even be making a trip to UF soon myself in a few weeks.

Speaking of college, I just finished reading the 2007-2008 edition of Hacking College a few nights ago. All in all, it was an interesting book, and there sure were a lot of things I didn't know. I disagree with a few parts, but I'm definitely recommending it to...well, everyone.

Future topics for discussion: my recent transition to Mac; how to manage a job, an education, a ton of extracurricular activities, and a social life; technology; queso. (No, really.)

No comments: